Well! Till almost the end, I was to have a normal delivery but then, nothing is normal in my life! Thanks to my petite little baby girl, she flew out of me in 15 minutes flat. The after effects of the C-section made me wonder how people go through this more than once!
I lost weight in the first three months but the operated part hurt too much for me to care about my waistline. Lucky for me, I escaped the warts, hair fall and stretch marks during and after my pregnancy but the paunch would just haunt me every day and every night.
Initially, as my baby increased a kg every week, I lost the same figures on the weighing scale. It was going how it was supposed to do until, one day, I found that we were both gaining the kilograms!! And for almost two and a half years, my weight stopped at the same digits every time I stood on the machine. Ugh!
While I halfheartedly tried various things to feel slim again, I knew my eating habits played a big role in doing just the opposite. Running the treadmill is good to keep you fit but it won’t help much if you get back and scavenge for carbs in the fridge! I mean, come on, everyone has the right to feel beautiful even after having children. So, why not us women, who care for everyone else in the household and ignore their once upon a time beautiful body? We’re only human after all.
One fine day, I woke up and decided that I needed to do more than just avoid aerated drinks, rice and potatoes. I needed to watch every bit and piece that travelled through my lips and into my tummy. It took a while for me to get started as the lavish holidays weren’t helping much. The sumptuous spreads laid out in front of me were hard to ignore, considering I may not have the opportunity to guzzle it anytime soon! Then again, I woke up another day and decided, this is it! It’s now or never! Yes, I love Michael Jackson AND Elvis Presley. 😉
It was a difficult but eventful period during the six months, of healthy eating, I took to lose the 8 kilograms. I knew that if I was a little less prone to temptation, I would have lost it sooner! So, depending on how many kilograms you want to lose, you can do the diet as per your wish! Of course, I gift myself with numerous cheat days mostly on the days I have a party to attend!! 🙂
In the morning!
1. Drink plenty of water as soon as you wake up and before you even brush your teeth! I usually put mint leaves, in the water bottles, every two days for freshness!
2. After your daily chores, once you are ready for breakfast, you can either have oats and crushed cashew nuts with half milk and half water (try honey and avoid sugar, though I hadn’t). You can even add some ragi powder to it.
3. Or you can have two soft boiled eggs and an orange or some figs. You can also combine your eggs with chopped tomatoes and lettuce. Once I had my eggs along with tomatoes and then chopped apple!
4. Or you can have a good sandwich (please avoid fried stuff in it and limit the mayo and cheese if you are putting any).
5. Or a bowl of freshly chopped fruits of your choice! A combination of banana, apple and mango was something I enjoyed in the mango season!
In the afternoon!
1. Chicken soup with vegetables (boil all together and add some salt and pepper).
2. Or a bowl of fruits can do wonders as any meal.
3. So does a sandwich!
4. Lightly fried bitter gourd with salad.
5. Or steamed prawns salad.
6. Baked/grilled or steamed meat with veggies on the side. Sometimes I shamelessly add mashed potatoes!
1. Same as lunch options.
2. Glass of milk.
Between meals if hunger strikes!
1. Bitter gourd juice. The internet helped with different way of preparing it!
2. Banana milkshake (preferably in the day time).
3. Broccoli juice!
4. Boiled green grams with tomatoes.
5. Flax seeds, walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, etc.
6. Just watermelon.
7. Drink plenty of water again!
Let me know how it is working out for you! All the best!